How to apply for free school meals
Who qualifies for Free School Meals?
Children and young people attending school on a full time basis may be entitled to receive free school meals (FSM).
Below is the criteria for eligibility for FSM if parent(s) are in receipt of any of the following:
* Income Support
* Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
* Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
* Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
* Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190
* Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
* Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
* Universal Credit
Young people who receive Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right may also be eligible to receive FSM.
The child will also need to be attending school full time, which can include full days at nursery and sixth form students. In order for your child to receive FSM, you will need to fill out an application form and send it to the local authority. This form can normally be collected from your child’s school.
Young people attending Further Education Institutions are not eligible for FSM.